Sunday, August 3, 2014

Independence and family reunions!


A belated Happy Independence Day, America! Glad we get to live here in this great country, but also glad I've lived in other countries to see the differences that this country has compared to others. Gotta say we don't have it perfect, but we definitely have a leg up over a lot of places. Hopefully we won't get so full of ourselves that we will always be respectful of others, work to understand different opinions and always work hard to make this country great. NOW LETS GO WIN THE WORLD CUP AND SHOW ALL THOSE OTHER NATIONS WHO'S BOSS!
 
If only, right? Maybe one day we'll move past the first round of the knock out stages and start having real soccer rivals with countries that matter on an international stage-like Germany, Argentina, Spain, and Brazil. That would be fun to be at that level competitively. I think it's on its way, if you look at how far MLS soccer has grown in the U.S. over the last 8 years. Teams are now playing in sold out stadiums weekly, where once they were playing in mostly empty football stadiums (I'm looking at you KC Wiz). I have really enjoyed the World Cup over the last month. It's been extremely entertaining soccer. I think it won over a lot of 'haters' out there who say things like "soccer is boring," "I can't like a game that ends in a tie," "there isn't enough scoring." This world cup was so exciting! Lots of goals, late game drama, controversy and even a showing by Dracula! It's probably for the best that the tournament ended today with Germany defeating Argentina 1-0. It was way too easy to check the score of a game only for a quick minute and end up losing 2 hours during the middle of the day. I should be more productive this next week than I have been in over a month. 

Not that July is a great month for insurance anyway. It always seems like when I try to schedule something I'm met with the response, 'yeah let's talk but call me in August'. (Seriously, I have a great August lined up.) So, what do I do? I go on vacation too. 

On the 4th Lori (Kaela's mom) drove in from Omaha, NE to get ready for her extended family reunion at Bear Lake. We got to play with her during the day after we went on a great bike ride up the Alpine Loop. I bought a pass to the loop this week because I figured I'd want to go up there so often to get out of the heat if I wanted to go on a ride. Plus, we are going to do a bunch of camping up there this summer because it's so pretty. It's also good to get us into any National Park, so time to go on some hikes. Anyone who wants to go, let us know and we'll get it planned up. 
 
Anyway, after the bike ride our fantastic neighbors, Paul Hansen, invited us over for a BBQ with their family. This is the neighbor who has been so generous with his tools and help when we moved in. It was great food and company. They told us all about the parade in Provo this year, which is apparently is a big deal. Kaela and I had no Idea this thing was so big, we thought it was just another parade, so we decided to skip it, mainly because it was in Provo and we hate going down there. After hearing about what a big deal it is, we have decided that it's something that would be worth checking out next year.
That night we headed up to Sandy to watch Real Salt Lake play the New England Revolution. It was a great game with RSL wining on a goal by Jaoa Plata in the second half. Plata is Kaela's favorite player and it took all of her will power to not jump on the field and give him a big hug when he came over for a corner kick. After the game we got to meet my cousin Chad Meek's girlfriend. She seems great, and we hope to see her in October at the Desert. 

Saturday Morning we got up early to watch the Balloons take off during the balloon festival. It was really early after a late night at the game, but I had never seen a balloon get filled up and taken off before. I think It would have been more fun if I had had more sleep, or they used helium…then sang in falsetto… the wicked witch is dead. 

Once we got a nap in, I went to work siding my shed. The previous owners had started to build a shed on the side of the house and had almost completed it when, crap it the fan for them, they weren't able to finish. The shed remained un-sided for almost two years and was getting to the point where it was going to rot unless something was done. So, I went to Home Depo and bought a bunch of siding and learned how to install vinyl siding. Here is a pic of the completed project. Not perfect, but I love having it to hold all the lawn equipment and toys that otherwise would be taking up space in the garage. After all, contrary to popular belief, cars go in garages, not all your junk. 

Sunday, we had dinner with the whole Jorgensen family at Gram's house. It was nice to see some family we don't see very often. 
 
Lori had come into town early to get ready for the Pickett family reunion. Aunt Marsha has some friends with a cabin in Bear Lake that we were able to rent for the weekend. As many of the Pickett's posterity who could make it came up to the lake Thursday night where we had dinner and Minute to Win It games ready. Team 3 (or team 2 and ½ fingers as we liked to call ourselves) won the games by a land slide! 

That night, those who weren't staying at the cabin camped out at the KOA campground in Garden City. A storm cell rolled right over the campground around 12:00 sending up to 1/2" of rain down with big thunder and lightning. Kaela and I stayed dry in our tent but others didn't. Jim and Karen Wright's tent leaked from the top and through the floor, through their blanket, through their sleeping bags, and even the back of their shirts. They got their gear dried out well enough for the next night, and fixed the ground cloth so it wouldn't run water under the tent but they still got leaked on. I think I saw that tent in the dumpster of the KOA as we were leaving. Can't say I blame them.
Friday was spent at the lake with Steve Pickett's boat and Canoes. It was over cast and chilly when we got there but the water felt great, cool not cold. I jumped out on the first shift and got to wake board for the first time in a long time, even almost jumped the wake. Back at the beach the kids played in the sand or went out on canoes and paddled around. It was overcast but warmed up so we were comfortable. Most of the adults got a chance on the boat before the wind kicked up and sent us all packing back to the cabin. That night, the kiddos put on a variety show. Lori and Marsha danced the chicken dance with holding oversized cutouts of their parents faces attached to solo cups that they held in their mouths. The awkward position of their heads holding the cups attached to the oversized cut outs made it look like Grandma and Grandpa were bobble heads. 

Saturday was a hodgepodge day. Kaela and I went to ride stump hollow by Beaver Mountain and others did a ride on the trail through town. At breakfast we got a count for how many wanted to go up to the Minnetonka cave. I drove up to secure our spot for the afternoon then went on another Mt. bike ride up St. Charles canyon. My trail would have taken me to the ridge overlooking Willow Flats campground. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to make it that far before needing to turn around and get back to reception to let everyone know of the cave start time. It's a good thing I left when I did because the others had gone to the lake only to get stuck in the line of cars trying to put boats in. Steve waited an hour just to get the boat in the water. It was unfortunate that by the time the boat got in, others had to leave to meet us at the cave.
That night we went into town for shakes before a lot of folk took off for home. Most of the crew had driven from Albuquerque, NM and wanted to get a few hours in before making the big push on Sunday.
Kaela and I stuck it out in our tent (everyone else bailed out on camping) and helped cleaned up at the cabin before heading to my parents in Smithfield for the afternoon.
It was great to see family we hadn't seen in 2 years since before Kaela and I were engaged. Everyone got along great and most of the plans went off without a hitch. Koodos to Lori for being the engineer of a great family reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment